Detroit

image courtesy of flickr user Bernt Rostad

  • 1901

    The world's first concrete road is built in Detroit.
  • 1903

    Ford founded the Ford Motor Company. Ford's manufacturing and other automotive pioneers reinforced Detroit's status as the world's automotive capital.
  • 1920

    The city's population multiplies rapidly, thanks to the auto industry. Detroit is now home to nearly 2 million foreign-born residents.
  • 1937

    The Great Depression hit Detroit hard initially, but the automobile industry survived. The modern movement for labor unions began with a battle between organizers and police.
  • 1940

    Detroit plays a key role in World War II victory as the nation's "Arsenal of Democracy"
  • 1950

    Detroit's population reaches its height at 1.85 million. 1900 -1950, the population grew from under 285,700 to 1.85 million; 1950-2000, it decreased from 1.85 million to 951,270.
  • 1967

    They exploded in the riots, which left dozens dead and hastened white flight. The city plunged into a long decline, as key components of business and industry shifted to the suburbs.
  • 1971

    Henry Ford II, head of Detroit Renaissance, Inc, announces plans for the construction of the largest privately financed project in the world - The Renaissance Center.
  • 1973

    Coleman Young is elected Detroit's first African-American mayor.
  • 1987

    The Detroit People Mover opens, providing a new source of downtown transportation.
  • 1990

    During the 1990s-2010s, the city’s population finally stabilized at around a million people, and business investment began returning to the city.
  • 2000

    MGM Grand Detroit, MotorCity and Greektown Casino open in downtown Detroit.
image courtesy of flickr user Daviddje
  • History of Real Estate

    1907 – Ford Building

    The building's name doesn't come from Henry Ford or the Ford Motor Company. Rather, the building was constructed as the headquarters for the Edward Ford Plate Glass Company.
  • History of Real Estate

    1913 – Chrysler House

    Designed in the Neoclassical style,the most distinctive feature is the central light court which begins on the third floor and creates a U-shaped floor plan on the upper office floors.
  • History of Real Estate

    1923 – Cadillac Place

    It opened as the second largest office building in the world, and it served as General Motors world headquarters from 1923 until 2001. In 1998, State of Michigan moved in.
  • History of Real Estate

    1928 – Fisher Building

    This world of shops, theatre, art and architectural beauty is Albert Kahn’s masterpiece which displays some of the finest craftsmanship in any Art Deco style building in the 1920s.
  • History of Real Estate

    1928 – Penobscot Building

    The building is named after a tribe of American Indians in New England. The name Penobscot means “the place where the rocks open out.” it is a hub for the city's wireless Internet zone and fiber-optic network.
  • History of Real Estate

    1929 – Guardian Building

    During World War II, it was used as a command center for the Army as it coordinated ordinance production. In 2007, Wayne County announced that it was going to buy it for $14.5 million.
  • History of Real Estate

    1930 – First National Building

    During World War II, it was used as a command center for the Army as it coordinated ordinance production. In 2007, Wayne County announced that it was going to buy it for $14.5 million.
  • History of Real Estate

    1963 – One Woodward Avenue

    Yamasaki patterned his award winning design for the New York City's former World Trade Center towers after his design for Detroit's One Woodward Av. in the Modern style.
  • History of Real Estate

    1963 – 211 Westfort Street

    The building is designed in the international style.
    It currently houses offices for the Detroit Economic Club, Bankruptcy Court of the Eastern District of Michigan and the United States Attorney.
  • History of Real Estate

    1965 – 1001 Woodward

    The structure is composed of two rectangular towers and joined by an elevator-utility core covered in glass and matching grey granite. These help it make the best use of its irregularly shape.
  • History of Real Estate

    1977 – Renaissance Center

    The RenCen is a group of seven interconnected skyscrapers. In 2004, GM completed a $500 million renovation of the Class-A center as its world headquarters, which it had purchased in 1996.
  • History of Real Estate

    1989 – 150 West Jefferson

    This building is connected to the rest of downtown Detroit by a station stop on the Detroit People Mover transit system built into the adjacent parking ramp. It replaced the Detroit Stock Exchange Building.
  • History of Real Estate

    1993 – One Detroit Center

    The building is famous for its postmodern architectural design topped with Neo-Gothic spires which blend architecturally with the city's historic skyline. It has been occupied by Comerica Bank.
  • History of Real Estate

    2003 – Compuware World Headquarters

    The area remained greenspace until 1999 when Campus Martius Park began to take shape. Compuware moved its headquarters and 4,000 employees to a newly constructed building on the site in 2003.
  • History of Real Estate

    2006 – One Kennedy Square

    It was designed in the Modern architectural style, constructed with a translucent emerald green tinted glass exhibiting the role of color in architecture amidst Campus Martius Park's other modern foray.
image courtesy of flickr user Dig Downtown Detroit
Detroit Credits

Next Up

×
Sitio web optimizado por: Posicionamiento en Google
Plugin Modo Mantenimiento patrocinado por: Wordpress modo mantenimiento